New Features and Improvements
New Language Options
Much of this localisation has been done using machine translation with a check from a native speaker. We would like to acknowledge the support from the following people that have helped check the localisation:
- Putu Sukma Kurniawan (Bahasa Indonesia), Department of Accounting, Faculty of Economics, Universitas Pendidikan Ganesha, Bali.
- Professor Óscar Javier Solorio Pérez (Spanish) Director of Outreach, Universidad de Colima, Mexico.
- Osmat Jefferson (Arabic), The Lens.
- Annie Connell (Chinese), The Lens.
However, not all elements of the UI have been checked for each language. If you see a term that is not translated correctly or should be improved, please let us know by contacting Support. Please note, the updated localisation does not include PatSeq, PatCite, In4M or individual reports.
This release also sees a number of new fields added for both Patents and Scholarly Works. In addition, our institution ROR ID matching against author affiliations has been improved for more than 500 institutions, adding additional ROR Identifiers to 8.2M records, and increasing the coverage of Scholarly Works with ROR identifiers by 4.1M records to 66.9M records.
- Added Has Grant Event flag filter and field (legal_status.has_grant_event) for patent searches. This filter is used to indicate if the patent application/simple family has one or more Grant events in INPADOC.
- Added Has National Phase flag filter and field (legal_status.has_entry_into_national_phase) for patent searches. This filter is used for WO patent applications and indicates if the patent application/simple family has entered the National Phase in INPADOC.
- Added Institution Name Exact (author.affiliation.name.exact) field to the Scholarly Works field list in the user interface. This provides the institution associated with the author affiliations and is used for exact matches on the full institution name, e.g. "Stony Brook University". Please note, this field will replace the author.affiliation.name.keyword field, which will be deprecated.
- Added Institution ROR ID Lineage (author.affiliation.ror_id_lineage) field to Scholarly Works. This field provides the institution's ROR identifier lineage for all matched institutions on a Scholarly Work, and includes all parent ROR identifiers for the institution, e.g. "00pjdza24, 03yrm5c26"
Other Improvements and Changes
The Lens is a work in progress and with each release, The Lens team improves on certain features or perfects the quality of the data and the service to provide you with the most comprehensive data we can source. While often these changes stem from users' feedback, they also originate from improved data processing and improvements in the source data. In this release, here is the list of other improvements and changes that were implemented:
- Updated homepage, added Institutional Toolkit section and added subscribing institutions to the collaborators logo carousel.
- Updated description of Individual commercial use to include sole practitioners or professional users in SME businesses.
- Added a link to the Support Centre on the About home page header menu.
- Updated the subscribing and supporting Institutions, added Middle East College and Queensland University of Technology.
- Increased the truncation limit for long author affiliations on individual scholarly works.
- Scholarly works fields which are case sensitive are now denoted in the field list.
- Added captioning and caption translations to the videos on the Support Centre & Knowledge Base.
- Removed donation links.
- Reinstated Merge and Intersect set actions in the work area for saved queries.
- Locale based menu position fixes.
- The fields on the Field List tab of the Search Tips modal are now only displayed in the context of a patent or scholarly works search.
- Fixed back button on In4M Dossiers.
API & Data Improvements:
- Added API support for Regex queries using the parameter "regex": true.
- Added authors.affiliations.name_original field to the Scholarly Works API response by default.
- Added legal_status.has_grant_event and legal_status.has_entry_into_national_phase boolean fields to the Patent API request fields.
- Added institution ROR ID matching (overrides) against author affiliations for 500 institutions, adding additional ROR Identifiers to 8.2M records, and increasing the coverage of scholarly works records with ROR identifiers by 4.1M records to 66.9M records.
- Deprecated the authors.affiliations.grid_id field in the API response, please use the authors.affiliations.ids field instead.
Interested in supporting the sustainability of The Lens?
- Contact your librarians and let them know about Lens for Institutions and the Institutional Toolkits.
- Do you know someone who would be interested in The Lens? Share a search or collection with them, or suggest that they register for our newsletter here.
Interested in helping us improve?
- Collective Action needs connected actors. The Collective Action Project provides a number of different activities for all stakeholders to participate in collective problem solving. See how you can participate.
- Are you supportive of The Lens mission and interested in volunteering your expertise and time to support The Lens? We welcome expressions of interest. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are happy to learn more about your skill sets and see if there is a good fit of skills and timing to contribute to The Lens.
- If you have published using Lens tools or data, or created an application using the API or data from the Lens, please share your work with us so we can share it with others on Lens Labs to help improve The Lens as a public resource.
- Share your use case with us and explore how The Lens can help you and keep sending us your feedback on The Lens features and functionality.
The Lens is a public good project run by Cambia, a global social enterprise that is committed to making the innovation process more transparent, inclusive and effective for those seeking to solve problems and make a social impact and thus, we welcome your active engagement, participation, and support.