Introducing Lens Patent API v1.0, the Lens Cooperative (coming 2021), new profile metrics and more!
Introducing the Lens Patent APIv1.0
We are pleased to announce that the Lens Patent APIv1.0
is now available as part of the Lens Cooperative
launching in early 2021, with terms for institutional and commercial use of the Patent and Scholarly APIs.
The patent API is built on a new patent information architecture that has been designed and constructed from the ground up to implement the Lens MetaRecord
concept and accommodate additional data sources, initially including EPO’s worldwide legal event data INPADOC
. The integration of the new architecture into the Lens user interface is under way and will be deployed in the new year, bringing new fields and functionality to all users.
The first version of the Lens Patent API includes more than 120 fields, three times more than what is currently available. We will continue to refine and expand on API versions throughout 2021 with additional searchable fields to give you access to the most comprehensive patent metadata available.
Patent Data Coverage
The searchable fields available in the Patent API include abstracts, claims, and legal status, along with the names, countries and addresses of parties (inventors, applicants, agents/attorneys, owners) simple and extended family information, cited non-patent literature, and forward / backward patent citations. With the addition of INPADOC legal events data and improvements to the calculations for US assignments
, the coverage of owner/assignee information has also increased by 50%.
* Number of patent MetaRecords records with data available for the listed fields.
- Summary Stats
- Total Patent Records: 128.7M
- Granted Patents: 36.9M
- Patent Applications: 55.9M
- Limited Patent: 20.4M
- Active Patents: 33.1M
- Pending Patents: 29.2M
- Expired Patents: 37.5M
- Patent Metadata Fields: 120+
- Jurisdictions: 105
- Field Coverage Stats*
- Legal Status: 128.1M
- Applicants: 112.2M
- Inventors: 103.8M
- Owners: 15.5M
- Agents and Attorneys: 16.4M
- Cited by Patents: 44.0M
- Cites Patents: 37.2M
- Cites NPL: 11.0M
- Cites Resolved NPL: 3.3M
- Full Text: 24.1M
- Claims: 18.7M
- Abstract: 77.7M
- With Biological Sequences: 736K
Coverage by jurisdiction.
Highlighted new Fields:
1. Patent Legal Status
INPADOC legal events data was incorporated in the Lens to calculate patent status (pending, discontinued, patented, active, inactive). This enables a number of use cases and allows you to do:
- Freedom to operate and prior art searches by searching for issued or pending patents (i.e. active IP rights).
- Search for granted patents by owner, year, jurisdiction, etc. (e.g. search for IBM patents which have been filed from 2001-2010 and have been granted subsequently).
- Find patents that are still in force using the calculated patent status.
- Identify early expiry due to non-payment of fees (i.e.abandoned patents).
2. Agents and Attorneys
Agent and attorney information has been extracted from the front page of full text patent documents and is now available through the API, including the name, address and country of the agent / attorney.
Other patent data improvements:
- Owners are now calculated from both US Assignments and INPADOC legal events, expanding the coverage of owner information to 50% more patent documents (15.5M in total).
- The extended patent family members based on the INPADOC extended patent family are now provided.
- Country and Address information is now available for inventors, applicants owners and agents/attorneys.
- Improved citation data including resolved and unresolved non-patent literature cited, cited patents and citing patents.
- Added additional boolean Flag fields to support advanced filtering options, including:
- Cited By Patent
- Cites Patent
- Cites NPL
- Cites Resolved NPL
- Has Abstract
- Has Agent
- Has Applicant
- Has Claim
- Has Description
- Has Full Text
- Has Owner
- Has Inventor
- Has Sequence
- Has Title
- Has DOCDB
- PTO full text records are now incorporated into the patent MetaRecords without requiring a matching DOCDB record if none exists, increasing the coverage and timeliness of new patent filings.
- The DOCDB Identifier is now available for searching.
- Lens IDs are provided for all resolved patents and non-patent literature cited, as well as the citing patents.
If you would like to help us continue to improve the API to provide the services you want, please participate in this brief survey
New COVID report.
- Profile updates:
- Added Collaborative Ratio metric to the profile Summary Stats. This is the percentage of the author’s scholarly works that have been published with more than one affiliated institution (considering only works with affiliation data).
- Added Open Access Ratio (OA Ratio) metric to the profile Summary Stats. This is the percentage of the author’s scholarly works that are Open Access.
- Added Funding tab displaying funding information from ORCID.
- Released a new report on COVID: SARS-CoV-2: Navigating information overload, which is now available on the Lens Reports page.
Further changes based on user feedback:
- Improvements to facet search including case insensitive search for the Field of Study and improved prefix searching for all facets.
- Added counts for scholar flag facets in the filter sidebar (e.g. Open Access, Cited By Patents, Cited by Scholarly Works, etc.).
- Added new flag filter field 'Has ORCID ID' in the filter sidebar.
- Searching for a DOI URL (i.e. URL prefix https://doi.org/ or https://dx.doi.org/) offers users an option to go directly to the matching scholarly work.
- Fix scholar scatter plot size field tooltip.
- Parentheses are now ignored in the author search autosuggest.
- Fix hover ‘wobble’ in the main menu on Chrome browsers.
- Add profile landing page to breadcrumbs.
- Fix the 'View Recommended Works in Search' on the Recommended tab of scholarly works.
- Fix collection import message.
API & Data Improvements:
- Lens Patent API v1.0
- Version 1.0 of the Patent API schema is subject to change as new fields will be added through 2021. The API is based on a new patent architecture with additional metadata and as such, API queries may give different results to similar queries run on the Lens.org platform. The new patent architecture will be integrated into the user interface of the Lens.org platform in the coming months.
- A big thank you to all the users who helped test the beta Patent API, we greatly appreciate your support in helping improve the Lens public facility to the benefit of all!
- Lens Scholarly API v1.4
- Users can now search unstemmed fields via the scholarly API using the stemming parameter, e.g. "stemming" : "false"
- Updated the API & Data pages including the PatSeq Bulk, Scholarly API and Patent API tabs.
- All scholarly works in open access “rXiv” preprint repositories, including ArXiv, bioRxiv, ChemRxiv and medRxiv, are now categorised as open access, increasing the number of open access scholarly works by more than 1M records.
Interested in helping us improve?
- Share your use case with us and explore how Lens can help you.
- Keep sending us your feedback on The Lens features and functionality.
- Get involved in Lens Labs and take action to improve a public resource.
- Register your interest in a public webinar on the Lens ReportsBETA and help us build the report builder facility
The Lens is a public good project run by Cambia, a global social enterprise that is committed to making the innovation process more transparent, inclusive and effective for those seeking to solve problems and make a social impact and thus, we welcome your active engagement, participation, and support.