What are we looking for in a job applicant?
We’re not looking to put square pegs in round holes, but we’re looking for dynamic, self-motivated, disciplined and imaginative colleagues. We want people who understand what we’re doing, find a major role for themselves, and convince us that what they can do must be done and they must be involved in doing it with us.
We really value professionalism, competence and energy. We set the bar very high – the challenge is not an institutional one, but a systemic one. There are major forces in play in the world that need well crafted alternatives – not polemic, but practical. We are in a critical time and place to make a real difference. Convince yourself that you have the skills to help do that and that doing so matters enough to you; then convince us, and we can proceed from there.
Read the website, our press pages, and documents that are available to download. If you see a powerful way that you can be part of our team and can anticipate what we need to promote real structural reform in innovation, then contact us. Send us an e-mail with your CV and a letter explaining how you can meet our needs and contribute to our goals.
- Open source technology stack
- Search and Big Data
- Public good, open access project
- Flexible work environment
- Package commensurate with experience
- Relocation assistance considered for exceptional candidate
The Lens (lens.org) is the global leader in open access patent and scientific literature search and analysis. We are looking for a talented Java developer to join our engineering team.
As part of our team, your tasks will be challenging, engaging and rewarding. You will play an integral part in designing and implementing the highly scalable systems required to open up the worlds innovation data for public good.
- 3+ years commercial Java experience
- Experience with the design and implementation of RESTful API’s
- Proficient in the use of Spring/Hibernate/JPA in web applications and services
- Fluent in one or more scripting languages (e.g. Python, Ruby)
- Proficient with bash and UNIX/Linux tools - ssh, grep, find, sort, rsync, tar etc
- Experience with XML processing frameworks eg JAXB, StAX, SAX, DOM
- Experience with JSON frameworks eg PSON-P, GSON, Jackson, org.JSON
- Highly proficient with a Java IDE, Git, Maven/Gradle
- University degree in IT or other relevant fields
- Experience with Lucene based search engines (Solr, ElasticSearch)
- OAuth or other distributed security mechanisms
- Exposure to Scala or Kotlin
- Experience with AWS based systems and infrastructure configuration, management and orchestration tools
- An open source project or Github account demonstrating your work
- A cover letter describing why you would be a good fit for the Lens team
- Short resume focused on relevant, recent experience (the last decade)
What's in it for you?
A great compensation package, flexible work hours, work from home option and the opportunity to solve challenging problems with skilled colleagues. Our team is open-minded about solutions and highly motivated to deliver high-impact public goods.
Brisbane or Sunshine Coast, will consider exceptional applicants who are willing to relocate.
How to Apply
Apply via Seek. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from anyone with appropriate qualifications. Australian citizens or permanent residents only. Lens.org cannot offer any visa help at this time.