What are we looking for in a job applicant?
We’re not looking to put square pegs in round holes, but we’re looking for dynamic, self-motivated, disciplined and imaginative colleagues. We want people who understand what we’re doing, find a major role for themselves, and convince us that what they can do must be done and they must be involved in doing it with us.
We really value professionalism, competence and energy. We set the bar very high – the challenge is not an institutional one, but a systemic one. There are major forces in play in the world that need well crafted alternatives – not polemic, but practical. We are in a critical time and place to make a real difference. Convince yourself that you have the skills to help do that and that doing so matters enough to you; then convince us, and we can proceed from there.
Read the website, our press pages, and documents that are available to download. If you see a powerful way that you can be part of our team and can anticipate what we need to promote real structural reform in innovation, then contact us. Send us an e-mail with your CV and a letter explaining how you can meet our needs and contribute to our goals.
Mid / Senior Java Developer
Up to $130K + super
- 3+ years commercial Java experience
- Search and Big Data
- Public good, open access project
- Small team, flexible work environment
- Package commensurate with experience
- Relocation assistance considered for exceptional candidate
The Lens (lens.org) is the global leader in open access patent and scientific literature search and analysis. We are in the process of re-engineering a large part of our system to improve performance and scalability and are looking for a talented Java developer to form an integral part of our highly skilled engineering team.
As part of our team, your tasks will be challenging, engaging and rewarding. Your skills and experience will help us to design and implement the massively scalable systems required to open up the worlds innovation data for public good.
We are a relatively small organisation and as such we have a friendly, flexible work culture with an emphasis on high quality results and streamlined processes. We encourage qualified women to apply for all our roles.
- 3+ years commercial Java experience
- Experience working with NoSQL databases eg Cassandra, MongoDB, CouchDB, Elasticsearch
- Highly proficient with the use of SQL and application of relational data models
- Experience with the design and implementation of RESTful API’s
- Proficient in shell and one or more scripting languages (e.g. Python, Ruby)
- Proficient with UNIX/Linux tools - ssh, grep, find, sort, rsync, tar etc
- Experience with XML processing frameworks eg JAXB, StAX, SAX, DOM
- Experience with JSON frameworks eg PSON-P, GSON, Jackson, org.JSON
- Proficient in the use of Spring/Hibernate/JPA in web applications and services
- Highly proficient with a Java IDE, Git, Maven/Gradle
- University degree in IT or other relevant fields
- Experience with Lucene based search engines (Solr, ElasticSearch)
- Experience working with large, sharded, redundant data stores and/or distributed frameworks like Apache Spark, Hadoop etc
- OAuth or other distributed security mechanisms
- Experience with AWS based systems and infrastructure configuration, management and orchestration tools such as CloudFormation, Ansible, Salt, Terraform, Kubernetes or equivalents
- Familiarity with patent, scholarly or scientific datasets
- An open source project or Github account demonstrating your work
- A cover letter describing why you would be a good fit for the Lens team
- Short resume focused on relevant, recent experience (the last decade)
What's in it for you?
A great compensation package, flexible work hours, work from home option and the opportunity to solve challenging problems with skilled colleagues. Our team is small, open-minded about solutions and highly motivated to deliver high-impact public goods.
Brisbane or Sunshine Coast, will consider exceptional applicants from SYD, MEL, CBR who are willing to travel regularly or relocate.
How to Apply
Apply via Seek. Australian citizens or permanent residents only. Lens.org cannot offer any visa help at this time.